Braces improve your smile and oral health. However, it is equally important to maintain oral hygiene. For that, you need to follow all the instructions given by your orthodontist. We are aware, it could be a little difficult and time-consuming but at the end of the treatment, you will realize, it was worth the time.
Food particles have the tendency to get stuck over the teeth and braces. Therefore, you need to inculcate the habit of brushing your teeth after every meal. We recommend you follow the below-mentioned technique to clean your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with water before brushing.
- If possible, use specialized brushes designed for braces. These brushes are available in the market as ortho brushes under various trade names.
- Use pea sized fluoridated tooth paste.
- Hold the tooth brush at 450 to the gumline and guide it in short sweeping strokes along the teeth surface
- Brush for 2-3 minutes.
- Your brush can not reach to all the surfaces and the plaque may remain adhered in between the teeth and below the arch wire. In such cases, you can use interdental brush or floss.
- We also recommend to use fluoridated mouthwash after brushing.
Sometimes brushing may not be immediately possible for you. In such situations, you can rinse with water and brush as soon as you can.
Proper brushing will keep your smile healthy and prevent cavities and gum diseases. However, if oral hygiene is not maintained, you may experience white spots developing on your teeth after the braces are off which is obviously a big NO.
So be attentive to your oral care and we ensure you a beautiful and healthy smile.